Mexican Sun Salad
Recipe By Fit Fan Brian Rossiter
Inspired by the flavors of Mexican food, this bold, fresh salad will satisfy — and bring some heat! This makes a hearty entreé, cut the portions in half for a smaller side salad.
Serves 4 (large helpings)
For the Salad:
- Bed of torn leaves from 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1 orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cucumber sliced
- (May add corn cut off the cob when in season)
- Pico de gallo
- 1 to 2 pound of chopped grape tomatoes
- 1 large white onion finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño chili pepper
- ½ clove of garlic
- ½ bunches each of cilantro and parsley
- 1 teaspoon of Mexican seasonings chopped in a food processor
For the Hot Sauce as dressing (makes about 8 ounces for multiple salads):
- 1 ounce of olive oil
- 3 ounces of apple cider vinegar
- 3 ounces of water
- Juice of 1 lime
- Add dried or dehydrated hot red peppers to desired spiciness
- Add sun-dried tomatoes to desired thickness
- Add desired seasonings such as cayenne and chipotle pepper, black pepper, peppercorn, Himalayan sea salt, coriander seed, cumin and Mexican seasoning
- 1. Combine salad ingredients. If storing, separate the pico de gallo, bell peppers, cucumbers and, if using, corn from the romaine leaves and drizzle with the juice of 1 lime to help preserve it.
- 2. Blend all the dressing ingredients except for the sun-dried tomatoes in a Vitamix or other blender until silky smooth. Add sun-dried tomatoes to attain the desired thickness.
- 3. Combine all the salad and dressing ingredients and drizzle with the juice of an additional lime for a superfresh kick.