Maple Basted Grilled Mackerel
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Not only does mackerel contain a lot of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, it also is ocean-friendly and a sustainable choice. Mackerel is a fish with a stronger taste, but the maple and the vinegar in this recipe tame it nicely.
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons rice winevinager
- 4-5 8 ounce mackerel fillets
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Pour maple syrup, lime juice and vinegar in a shallow bowl.
- 2. Add fish fillets and turn to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle with spices. Allow to marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- 3. Lightly grease grill rack with the oil. Grill Mackerel about 6 inches form heat for 3-5 min. on each side.
- 4. Baste fish with syrup one or twice until fish flakes and the outside is lightly caramelized.