Lomo Saltado with Steamed Yucca and Mojo Sauce
Recipe By Chef Jose Garces, Chifa Restaurant
Lomo Saltado is a Peruvian dish with some Asian influences. It often comes with fried yucca or potatoes but here Chef Garces steams the yucca root.
Recipe taken from WHYY’s A Chef’s Guide to Good Cooking.
- 1 medium yucca
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 steak of preference
- Vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1. Peel yucca, quarter lengthwise. Remove inner membrane and cut into strips about ¼-inch thick and 2½-inches long. Put it in water until ready to cook. Steam or boil in salted water for half an hour.
- 2. Mojo Sauce: Toast garlic in olive oil and add to a bowl, squeeze in juice of one orange and one lime, add few drops of soy sauce and a pinch of cumin.
- 3. Heat frying pan and add vegetable oil, place steak seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper and sear 2-3 minutes on each side. Put it in the hot oven for a few minutes.
- 4. Add vegetable oil to pan and add mixture of julienned green peppers, onion and red pepper and heat it through. Add pre-cooked yucca, mojo sauce and cilantro to vegetable mixture. Place beef over veggies, garnish with cilantro leaves.