Lentils and Rice (Riz-be-Adees)
Recipe from Endangered Recipes By Lari Robling
There are a number of different varieties of lentils that come in various colors. Experiment to find your favorite!
Makes about 6 cups
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring and salt to a boil over high heat.
- 2. Add lentils, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- 3. Add rice, cover and cook 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and keep covered, allowing rice to steam.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil and add onion. Cook until onion is golden brown. Pour over rice and lentils and serve.