Recipe By Kim O’Donnel from the book The Meat Lover’s Meatless Cookbook
Put down those potato chips and try this healthy snack while you are watching TV!
Makes enough chips for 4 sandwiches or a bowl of TV snacks.
- 1 bunch (4 to 5 cups) Lacinato kale (also sold as Dinosaur kale)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. With a sharp knife, remove the stem and middle rib of each kale leaf so that all you have left are leaves. Wash the leaves, then dry thoroughly, preferably in a salad spinner. With a knife, cut the leaves into small pieces (ideally 3 inches long, 2 inches wide).
- 3. Transfer the leaves to a medium-size mixing bowl and add the olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes (if using). With your hand, coat leaves with the seasonings; the leaves will glisten a bit.
- 4. Place the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet, giving the leaves plenty of room to roast. Cook for 8 minutes, maybe a few seconds more. Remove from the oven and enjoy.
Best eaten within 24 hours, stored in a paper bag.