Recipe By American Diabetes Association
Sure to please and feed a crowd! Most of the time involved in this recipe is in the oven — all you need to do is keep an eye on it and baste it.
Nutrition Facts: Lean meat exchanges 4.
Amount per Serving: Calories 165, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 1.4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 75 mg (without added salt), Potassium 330 mg, Total Carbohydrate 0 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 33 g, Phosphorus 250 mg.
Serving size: 3 ounces, skinless
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour, 20 minutes to 1 hour, 40 minutes
For the Crumb Topping:
- 5 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced sage (divided use)
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced thyme (divided use)
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced rosemary (divided use)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (5 pounds) turkey breast, skin on, washed and patted dry
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large roasting pan with foil. Set a rack inside the roasting pan and coat it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the butter with 2 teaspoons each of the sage, thyme, and rosemary, plus salt and pepper. Reserve the remaining 1 teaspoon of each of the herbs.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth and wine, and bring to a gentle boil. Add the reserved herbs and lower to a simmer.
- 4. With your hands, separate the turkey breast skin from the breast meat, creating a pocket without removing the skin. Rub the butter-herb mixture all over the breast meat. Place the skin back down on the breast.
- 5. Set the turkey on the prepared rack in the pan. (You can also add veggies like peeled carrots, peeled parsnips, onions, or small potatoes to the pan; they will cook along with the turkey.) Roast the turkey for about 1 hour, 20 minutes to 1 hour, 40 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 170°F and the juices run clear. Baste every 15 to 20 minutes with the mixture of chicken broth and white wine.
- 6. Remove the turkey from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Discard the skin and serve.