Heirloom Turkey Stuffed Exotic Peppers
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
A Fit taster says using low fat ground turkey works just as well and is less expensive.
- 1½ pounds ground heirloom turkey breast
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 shallots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup diced fennel bulb
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- ½ skim milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 large exotic peppers, or use red or yellow bells, halved, seeded
- 1 can (14 ½ oz.) organic diced tomatoes, pureed
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
- 1. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, shallots, garlic, fennel, salt, pepper, eggs, milk and basil; mix well. Spoon mixture into pepper halves.
- 2. Pour tomatoes puree into baking dish. Arrange peppers on top of tomatoes. Cover with foil. Cook 50 to 60 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven to or until turkey is no longer pink in center and peppers are tender. Remove foil. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.