Hearty Spinach Soup with Beets and Potatoes
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
This soup is equally good hot or cold, depending on what the weather calls for! And these days, who knows!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 beets (about 1 pound) peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 4 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Place the butter in a large stockpot and melt over medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- 3. Add the spinach and paprika and sauté for about 1 minute until the spinach is wilted.
- 4. Add the stock, potatoes, beets and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- 5. Reduce the heat to a light simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes and beets are tender.
- 6. Transfer the soup to a food processor in batches and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the sour cream and a parsley sprig.