Grilled Shrimp with Quinoa
Recipe Courtesy of Fork Restaurant
Both shrimp and quinoa cook quickly, making it an ideal dish for a relaxed Sunday Supper. In fact, you may even want to make this a weekday recipe.
Serves 4 portions as an appetizer
- 12 pieces (each peeled and deveined) shrimp 16/20 size
- 1 cup golden quinoa
- 12 ounces vegetable stock
- ½ cup white onion finely diced
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 small head fennel
- 1 seedless cucumber
- 2 ribs celery peeled and washed
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs mint
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 sprigs basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt
- White pepper
- 1. In a 4 quart sauce pan, sweat the onion in 1 ounce of the olive oil until translucent. Season with salt and white pepper. Add the quinoa and stir until well coated. Then add the vegetable stock and bring to simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low heart. Then remove from heat. Fluff with a fork and spread on a tray to cool.
- 2. Dice the fennel, cucumber and celery in ¼-inch dice. Thinly slice the scallions. Snip the mint into flaky small pieces (Be careful not to bruise. Sharp scissors work best for this.). When the quinoa is cooled to room temperature, transfer to a large bowl and stir in vegetables and herbs. Add olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Season to taste.
- 3. Season the shrimp with salt, cayenne and coriander. Drizzle very lightly with olive oil and sear quickly on a grill or grill pan. Just about 90 seconds per side will do. Serve over a bed of the quinoa salad.