Garden Vegetable Salad with Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Here's a great way to showcase Farmer's Market corn, tomatoes and lettuce.
- 3 whole shallots, peeled and quartered
- ½ of a cup of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small heads of Bibb lettuce
- ¼ pound fresh baby green beans
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 3 ears fresh Jersey corn, kernels cut from the cob
- ½ red pepper, sliced julienne
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine the shallots, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a shallow baking pan. Roast them in the oven for about twenty to thirty minutes, or until soft. Remove the shallots from the oven and allow to cool.
- 3. Blanch and chill the green beans.
- 4. Place the shallots in a food processor, add the vinegar and sugar, and pulse to combine. Slowly add in the oil, and process until an emulsion is formed.
- 5. Cut one head of the Bibb lettuce into thin ribbons. Separate the leaves from the other head and leave them whole. Arrange the whole leaves in the center of four plates. Fan the green beans around the lettuce.
- 6. In a bowl, toss the rest of the lettuce, tomatoes and corn with the vinaigrette and place on top of the whole lettuce leaves. Garnish the salads with the red pepper.