Fresh Vegetable Chowder
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
You can still find a few of these ingredients in the Farmers' Market so enjoy those while you can, then switch to frozen until we see them once again next year. Scalding the milk means there is less chance for your soup to "break" but you probably won't even notice if you skip that step.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices of onion
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons flour mixed with ¼ cup cold milk
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1. Place the olive oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the onion in the oil, stirring frequently.
- 2. Add the corn, potatoes, celery, parsley, water and seasonings. Cover, and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender.
- 3. Stir in the flour and milk mixture, and when it is incorporated add the scalded milk. Cook until slightly thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf, and divide among soup bowls.