Fire Roasted Bean and Shrimp Salad w/ Molasses Dressing
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
If you have a big crowd to feed, this salad is easily extended by adding more beans or lettuce.
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon red vine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 pound fire roasted beans
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 8-ounce precooked small (salad) shrimp
- 2 scallions, tops chopped (green part only)
- 1 butterhead lettuce, such as Boston or Bibb, washed 4 large leaves reserved and the rest finely chopped, or baby spinach
- 1. To prepare the dressing, place the oil, molasses, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until well-blended.
- 2. To prepare the salad, add the beans, bell pepper, shrimp, and scallions to the dressing and combine to coat well. Place a lettuce leaf on each of 4 serving plates and top with the chopped lettuce. Spoon the bean and shrimp mixture over the lettuce and drizzle over any remaining dressing left in the bowl.