Fennel Salad with Red Onion, Tomato, Orange and Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
Recipe By Chef Sal DiPlama of the Pennsylvania Hospital
At Fit, we think fennel is a much over-looked vegetable. Use the fronds as you would dill, save the stems for stock and enjoy it cooked or fresh. Try this refreshing salad.
Recipe taken from WHYY's Friday Arts: Art of Food.
For the Salad:
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 1 orange, peeled, de-seeded and sliced
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tomato
For the Fennel Marinade "Dressing"
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: fennel fronds, fresh ground black pepper
- 1. To make dressing, whisk together all ingredients and set aside.
- 2. To assemble salad, first slice all veggies. Add citrus dressing, season with cracked black pepper and fennel fronds.