Easy Fiesta Tofu Quiche
This is a good one for tofu-avoiders as it blends into the eggs and cheese seamlessly. Recipe courtesy of the clinical nutrition staff of City of Hope.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pastry shell
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained and finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (3 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
Preheat oven to 450oF; bake pastry shell for 5 minutes. Place on a rack to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325oF. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs; stir in onions, green chiles, salt and pepper. Fold in tofu and cheese, pour into pre-baked pastry shell and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with tomatoes and then bake an additional 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into eight wedges to serve. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 187 calories, 11.6 grams fat, 0.3 grams fiber
Photo by Flickr user jspatchwork