Crunch Garlic Chicken
Definitely do the oven baked version. You'll get the crunch without the added fat. You can double or even triple this recipe and have some left over for a weekend salad. From JAMIE'S FOOD REVOLUTION by Jamie Oliver.
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 heaped tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon
- 1 large egg, preferably free range or organic
- 18 unsalted saltine crackers
- 2 skinless chicken fillets, preferably free-range or organic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- 4 springs of fresh Italian parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Peel garlic and zest lemon. Put crackers into a food processor with butter, garlic, parsley springs, lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and pepper. Whiz until the mixture is very fine, and then pour crumbs onto a plate. Sprinkle the flour on a second plate. Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork. Lightly score the underside of the chicken breasts. Put a square of plastic wrap over each one and bash a few times with the bottom of a pan until the breasts flatten out a bit. Dip the chicken into the flour until both side are completely coated, then dip into the egg and finally into the flavored bread crumbs. Push the crumbs onto the chicken breasts so they stick, completely coating the meat.
- You can either fry or bake the chicken. If baking, preheat the oven to its highest temperature (475 degrees), place the chicken on a sheet pan, and cook the chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through, golden and crisp.
- Serve the breasts whole, or cut them into strips and pile them on a plate. Beautiful and simple served with a lemon wedge for squeezing over, and a tiny sprinkle of salt. Great with a lovely fresh salad or simply dressed vegetables
From JAMIE'S FOOD REVOLUTION by Jamie Oliver. Copyright (c) Jamie Oliver, 2008,2009. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All RightsReserved.