Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Is it sweet? You bet! Is it spicy? Absolutely! Is it savory? Of course! It’s corn relish!!
Makes 1 pint of relish
- 2 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup of green cabbage, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- ¼ cup of cider vinegar
- 1. Place the corn in a saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, and simmer about 5 minutes until the corn is tender, then drain the corn.
- 2. Put the corn, cabbage, onion, pepper, honey, vinegar and ¾ of a cup of water in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the salt, dry mustard and celery seed, and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Let the relish cool and store it in a glass container in the refrigerator. Serve it as a condiment with a variety of roasted or grilled meats.