Citrus Avocado Sandwiches
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Make sure the first ingredient on the bread label is whole wheat, not wheat. You want the highest amount of fiber. This time of year, tomatoes also work well in place of the citrus… they are both acidic.
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and segmented (or cut into ¼-inch thick slices)
- 2 large avocados&mdashpeeled, pitted, and sliced
- 4 to 6 leaves of “Butter or Boston” lettuce torn
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite salad dressing (I like a simple balsamic vinaigrette)
- 1. Very lightly toast the slices of bread.
- 2. Arrange four of the bread slices on a flat surface; top each slice with even amounts slices of orange, even amounts of avocado slices, and even amounts of lettuce leaves.
- 3. Sprinkle each sandwich with ½ teaspoon of balsamic vinaigrette.
- 4. Top each with remaining bread slices and serve.