Chipotle‐Lime Broth with Chicken and Pumpkin
Recipe By Chef Chris Koch
If it’s fall or winter, it’s soup weather. This recipe is perfect for that time of year when all you want to do is stay indoors and enjoy a warm meal. It uses pumpkin and chicken in a spicy chipotle broth with a hint of lime.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 188 Calories; 10g Fat (47.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2159mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; ½ Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small pumpkin or acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 whole chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 1-½ cups corn
- 1-½ cups black beans, cooked
- 2 cups chicken, grilled — chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Halve the squash or pumpkin and remove the seeds. Coat the cut side with oil and place cut side down in baking dish or lipped tray. Roast pumpkin/squash at 400° for approx. 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and roughly mash flesh.
- 2. In a heavy soup pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions until golden, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the chilies and cook for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add the squash, corn and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the grilled chicken and heat through. Add the lime juice, cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with avocado.