Chickpea and Spinach Curry
In 15 minutes, this full of fiber dish is ready to eat. Serve over white or brown rice and top with some low-fat plain yogurt.
Total prep/cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 150, Fat: 2g, Vitamin A: 90%, Sodium: 590mg, Vitamin C: 50%, Carbohydrates: 28g, Calcium: 10%, Fiber: 6g, Iron: 15%, Protein: 7g.
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can no-sodium-added diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1-10 ounce bag fresh spinach, stems removed
- ½ cup water
- 1. Combine onion and ginger in food processor and pulse until minced.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion/ginger mixture and curry. Sauté 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir in spinach and water. Cook another minute until the spinach wilts.
Variations: *Try using other cooked beans like black eyed peas or lentils in place of the chickpeas.