Chef's Peanut Butter Soup
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
You can celebrate both African American history month and President's Day with this soup. We all know George Washington Carver's contribution to the success of the peanut and George Washington often served peanut soup at Mount Vernon. Not to mention a more recent President with peanut ties, Jimmy Carter.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup toasted peanuts
- 1. In a medium pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- 2. Sauté onion until soft and add flour, stirring until it is cooked and just beginning to brown.
- 3. Whisk in milk and chicken stock and continue whisking over medium heat until throughly mixed.
- 4. Transfer to the top of a double boiler over boiling water. Whisk in peanut butter, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Heat through. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with peanuts.