Chef Jeff’s Sweet Potato Soup
Recipe By Chef Jeff Henderson
We may be looking forward to Spring vegetables, but it’s not quite here yet. Time for the last of the winter staples, though.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or good quality soy margarine
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 2 cups chopped greens of your choice (kale, mustard, spinach or swiss chard) sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (or more to taste)
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to the boil and add sweet potatoes, reduce to simmer and cook until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat oil or margarine and brown sausage links. Cook over low heat until sausage is done. Remove from pan, cool slightly and slice on the bias into slices. Set aside.
- 3. To the sauté pan add garlic, onion and greens. Add ¼ cup chicken broth or water, cover and simmer over low heat until greens are tender. Return sausage to pan and keep warm.
- 4. In a blender or with an immersion stick, puree cooked potatoes until smooth.
- 5. To serve, place sausage mixture in the middle of the bowl and ladle the soup around it. Garnish each bowl with a drizzle of maple syrup.