Calabacitas with Pepper
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
While we wait for our local produce, yellow summer squash is a good alternative. If you also see fresh zucchini you can substitute or mix the two squashes in this easy recipe. And be sure to tell us whether you like your calabacitas with or without hot peppers.
Serves 8 people
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds of yellow summer squash, cleaned and diced
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 anaheim or poblano peppers, roasted
- ½ of a cup of milk
- ½ of a teaspoon of salt
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chili peppers, roasted and chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and summer squash, and cook, stirring, until soft-about 8 minutes.
- 2. Add the corn, peppers, milk and ½ of a teaspoon of salt. Cover the mixture and simmer for 8 minutes. Season it with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish it with the scallions and cilantro.