Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
This butternut squash soup recipe is a lovely addition to Thanksgiving dinner or any holiday meal.
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1. Preheat the over to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake until soft, about 40 minutes. Scoop out the squash pulp and discard the skin.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic, onion, cumin, and allspice. Sauté until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Purée the squash with the onion mixture and the chicken stock using a food processor, blender, or hand blender.
- 4. Pour the purée back into the saucepan, add the milk, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the chives.