Buttermilk Chicken Portobello Salad
Recipe By Joy Manning and Tara Desmond from Almost Meatless
It's no secret that a big bowl of crisp, leafy greens and colorful accompaniments can be a perfectly pleasing meal. But this salad offers meaty sustenance with smoky grill flavors and a tangy herb dressing. A buttermilk marinade tenderizes the lean chicken breasts, and the open flames impart a savory grilled flavor to the antioxidant-packed Portobello. Bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces can withstand the high heat of the grill and still emerge juicy and flavorful. The complete salad tosses tons of tastes with salty feta and just-charred croutons for a substantial meal.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (leaves from about 6 sprigs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bone-in, skin-on split chicken breasts
- 3 Portobello mushroom caps
- 4 1-inch thick slices sourdough or ciabatta bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces romaine lettuce
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cubed
For the Buttermilk Herb Dressing:
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Leaves from 1 sprig of thyme
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- ½ clove garlic, minced to a paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Several grinds of black pepper
- 1. Whisk together buttermilk, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, shallot, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts, cover, refrigerate, and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- 3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on oiled grates of hot grill, skin side down. Cook until an instant read thermometer registers 160°F, about 20 minutes, turning once or twice.
- 4. Meanwhile, brush the mushroom caps and bread slices with olive oil. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms to the grill cooking for a total of about 8 minutes, flipping once. Add bread slices and toast on both sides just until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Remove chicken, mushrooms, and bread and let cool before slicing. Cut the chicken off the bone and slice the meat and mushrooms in ¼-inch slices. Cut the bread into large cubes.
- 5. To make the dressing, place the buttermilk, canola oil, lemon juice, chives, thyme, parley, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender and pulse several times until smooth and creamy.
- 6. Toss lettuce, feta cheese, and tomatoes with the dressing. Top the salad with chicken, mushrooms, and grilled bread croutons.