Wheat Berry Breakfast Bowl
Recipe By Daniel McLaughlin
Here’s a healthy, hearty way that’s great for getting off to school on a cold morning. Cook the wheat berries the night before so it all comes together on the go.
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pear, cored and sliced into ¼” pieces
- ¼ cup pecans or other nuts
- 2 teaspoon cranberries
- 1. First, mix the yogurt and maple together and set aside.
- 2. Melt butter in a 9″ sauté pan or skillet and as soon as it’s melted add in the sliced pears. Sauté them on med/high heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until they get golden delicious on the edges. Remove and let drain on a paper towel.
- 3. Next, add the pecans into the pan to toast them. After a few minutes you can kill the heat and throw in the cranberries. The residual heat from the pan will be enough to wilt the berries. Once they get soft, I throw the pear slices and wheat berries back into the pan if I’m serving the dish warm. If I’m going for cold though, I put the nuts and berries (hehe) back into the bowl with the maple yogurt. Mix together and serve.
- 4. This is a single serving. Adjust accordingly if you’re serving the masses.
- 5. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve.