Quinoa with Aduki Beans
Recipe By Donna Fountain
This is a versatile recipe that can swap out a variety of healthy ingredients to the quinoa base. Fountain likes to use seared salmon in place of the beans but you could try grilled skinless chicken, tofu and a variety of beans. Another tip is to saute your vegetables just to point that they are still crisp.
For the Salad:
- 1 15 ounce can of aduki beans
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of Todd's Crabby Dirt seasoning (or any seafood seasoning or rub)
- 1½ cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1. Soak Quinoa in cold water for 1 hour. Pour off water and rinse, pour off rinse water.
- 2. Place quinoa in medium saucepan. Add 1½ cups of vegetable broth and 1 bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook 15-17 minutes.
- 3. Prepare beans by rinsing and draining, set aside.
- 4. In saucepan, put 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, sauté spices, peppers, onions, garlic and cilantro until peppers are slightly crunchy. Add beans to sautéed vegetables until blended.
- 5. Remove bay leaf from quinoa. Stir desired amount of quinoa (approximately half of cooked quinoa). Garnish with additional cilantro or parsley.