Asian Cole Slaw
Recipe By the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart program, part of the My Heart. My Life. Platform
While the bagged shredded cabbage is a nice convenience, don’t overlook the beautiful local cabbages sprouting up in the Farmer’s Markets these days.
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 42, Total Fat 1.0 g, Saturated Fat 0.0 g, Trans Fat 0.0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 107 mg, Carbohydrates 7 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 2 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 vegetable
- 1 12-ounce bag shredded cabbage (green or purple, or blended)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded, sliced in to thin sticks
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 medium green onions, sliced
- 12 leaves washed fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Combine all vegetables in a bowl, toss
For the Dressing:
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced from jar or 1 clove minced
- 3 tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon white sugar, granulated
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Combine in small bowl and whisk well.
- 2. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart program, part of the My Heart. My Life. Platform. More recipes available at www.heart.org/simplecooking.