Apple and Berry Scented Quinoa
Recipe By Christina Pirello
I was enlisted to create a healthy breakfast cereal that kids would actually eat and that moms could easily afford and make on a busy morning. It's high in complete protein, contains fresh fruit, and the added protein of walnuts. Tested on lots of kids, this recipe has won raves every time!
Makes 3–4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups unfiltered apple juice
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or other nuts)
- 1. Place quinoa and apple juice in a saucepan over medium heat. When the quinoa boils, add salt and cinnamon, cover, reduce heat, and bring to a boil.
- 2. Cook over low heat for 15–20 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed all the juice.
- 3. While the quinoa is hot, stir in the berries and nuts. Serve hot.
Variations: You can use any fruit, but harder fruits like apples and pears or dried fruit, like raisins or cranberries should be cooked in with the quinoa and not stirred in at the end. Fruits like peaches, plums, and apricots can be stirred in at the end, just like the berries.