Broccoli With Hazelnuts
Recipe By American Diabetes Association
You might not think of pairing nuts with vegetables, but here the hazelnuts are like a rich crouton. You'll never miss the butter!
Nutrition Facts: Fat exchanges 0.5.
Amount per Serving: Calories 35, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.3 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 20 mg (without added salt), Potassium 100 mg, Total Carbohydrate 2 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 1 g, Phosphorus 25 mg.
Servings: 9 to 10
Serving size: about 3 spears
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 17 minutes
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli, separated into 25 to 30 trimmed spears
- 1/3 cup low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Toast the hazelnuts in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned.
- 2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli spears, and let the broccoli cook 3 to 4 minutes on one side until browned. Turn the spears with tongs, and brown the other side for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cover, and steam for about 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- 3. Combine the lemon zest, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper, and sprinkle the mixture over the cooked broccoli. Top with the toasted hazelnuts.