Sweet Potato Biscuits
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
These biscuits get a little nutritional “oomph” with the addition of sweet potatoes. Skip the butter and just drizzle with a little honey to cut the fat.
Makes about 24 biscuits
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375° degrees and lightly butter two baking sheets.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes and butter with the dry ingredients.
- 3. Slowly pour in the buttermilk and lemon juice until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough. You may need to use a bit more flour. Coat the dough lightly with a dusting of flour, working it slightly so that the dough is completely covered.
- 4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is about ½ of an inch thick and cut the biscuits with a biscuit cutter or water glass. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and bake them for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they are lightly browned on top.
- 5. Serve them hot with butter and honey.