Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Head south for breakfast and try this tender, creamy, grits recipe.
Makes 4-6 servings
- ½ cup grits
- 2 ½ cups boiling chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Slowly stir the grits into the boiling broth and add the salt, cover and cook until the grits are done. 3-5 minutes for quick grits and 20-30 minutes for regular grits.
- 2. Remove from heat and beat in the egg yolks and butter. Cool slightly.
- 3. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the grits and place in a well buttered 1-½ quart baking dish.
- 4. Bake 30 minutes in an oven preheated to 400° or until puffed and browned. Serve immediately with butter.