Grandma’s Hot Cakes
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Santa would enjoy ending his epic ride with a hearty breakfast like this.
Makes 20 3″ pancakes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ cup of whole-grain cereal
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- ¾ teaspoons of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- Optional: ½ cup of low-fat sour cream
- 1. Pour the buttermilk into a mixing bowl and add the baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream and stir until the mixture foams. Add the eggs and beat with a fork until they are mixed in.
- 2. Blend the oats into this mixture.
- 3. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and cornmeal, and sift them into the buttermilk mixture; beat until the flour lumps disappear.
- 4. Heat an oiled griddle and pour generous tablespoons of the batter about 1 inch apart. As the bottoms of the pancakes brown, flip the pancakes over to finish cooking. Serve with syrup, honey, jam or preserves.