Baked Artichoke Frittata
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Eggs are a great way to go meatless — they are inexpensive and high in protein. If you want to cut the fat of this dish substitute any or all of the following with an equal amount:
-Egg substitute for eggs.
-Canned evaporated skim milk for half and half.
-Low-fat mozzarella for cheese.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 package (about 9 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, cooked and drained
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded fontina or jack cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Spread the artichokes evenly in a well-greased shallow 1½ to 2 quart baking pan (round or oval). In a bowl, beat the eggs with the half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the fontina or jack cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the artichokes.
- 2. Bake in a 350° oven until the edges are lightly browned and the center feels firm when lightly pressed (about 30 minutes). Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese, return to the oven, and continue to bake until puffy and lightly browned (5 to 8 more minutes.) Serve at once.