Braised Tuscan Kale
Recipe By Chef Chris Koch
Add some cubes of tempeh to this dish and you have Meatless Monday deliciously.
- 4 bunches kale, stems removed
- Salt as needed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ white onion thinly sliced
- ½ rosemary sprig
- 1 dried small red chile
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chicken stock or water
- 1. Coarsely chop the kale leaves and blanch them in boiling salted water, about 3 minutes, then drain.
- 2. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add the onion, rosemary and chile. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and ¼ teaspoon of salt. When the onion is translucent and starting to color, 3 to 5 minutes, add the kale.
- 3. Cook the kale over medium‐low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring often. The kale will turn a deep, almost black color, become soft and then almost a little crisp. Add ½ teaspoon of salt. If the greens get too dry during the cooking, stir in a little stock or water.
- 4. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve.