Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
For your next Friday Fish Fry replace deep-fried fish with this lightly sautéed version.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon powdered thyme
- ½ teaspoon powdered oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground paprika
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, skinned
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 1. Combine flour and spices and mix well. Brush fillets with butter, then rub spice mixture all over fillets.
- 2. Heat oil in iron frying pan over high heat until very hot. Add fillets and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until fish is opaque and beginning to flake when tested. Serve immediately.
Notes: Start with a really hot frying pan. The fish will sizzle immediately and will result in a very crisp, dark coating.