Big Veggie Hoagie
Recipe By City Harvest
This is a healthy hoagie made with seasoned produce, some raw, some roasted. Use hoagie rolls (whole wheat if possible) or large loaf bread. Use your imagination when deciding what to put in your hoagie—add fresh greens such as Swiss chard or spinach, broccoli, roasted slices of butternut squash or whatever you want.
Makes 6 servings
For the Herb Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Hoagie
- 2 large hoagie rolls or 1 long Italian bread, whole grain if possible
- 1 large bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced
- Roasted or grilled veggies—such as 2 medium zucchini, 1 medium eggplant, or 1 large onion
- 2 large juicy ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces of sliced mozzarella, provolone or Swiss cheese (optional)
- 1. Make the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl, using a fork.
- 2. Slice the rolls or bread lengthwise, three-quarters of the way through. Open the bread.
- 3.Using a brush or spoon, brush some of the vinaigrette evenly onto the bread.
- 4.Layer on the roasted pepper, roasted or grilled veggies, sliced tomato and cheese.
- 5. Enjoy!