Balsamic Brisket with Onions
Recipe By Cathy Marschean-Spivak
Make this tonight and refrigerate for Sunday’s game. Or, start it early in the day so that there’s a welcoming aroma for your guests. Marschean-Spivak serves it with egg noodles or mashed potatoes, but for game day it would also make a nice open-face sandwhich on crusty bread.
Nutrition Information per serving: 409 Calories, 14 g. Total Fat, 5 g. Saturated Fat, 168 mg. Cholesterol, 239 mg. Sodium, 8 g. Carbohydrate, 1 g. Dietary Fiber, 5 g. Sugar, 58 g. Protein
Makes 12 servings
- 1 (5 pound) beef brisket
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Heat oven to 325°F. Spray a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Place brisket in pan and top with onions and garlic.
- 3. Mix balsamic vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl; pour over brisket.
- 4. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake for 3 hours or until tender.
- 5. Remove brisket to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- 6. Heat oil and flour in large saucepan over medium heat until mixture bubbles. Add pan liquid with onions and cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Serve gravy with sliced meat.