Apple and Rice Stuffed Turkey Breast
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
This recipe is worth the little extra work to pound the breast and roll it. It’s the perfect recipe to end the weekend before the busy week begins.
- 5 pound skinless; boneless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 2 granny smith apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice; cook without fat/salt
- 1 cup cooked wild rice; cook with out fat/salt
- 1/3 cup apricot, apple or other fruit and jam plus 1 tablespoon extra set aside
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon; divided,
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves; divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice; divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice
- 1 watercress sprigs; optional
- 1. Trim fat from turkey; remove tendons. Place turkey breast, bone-side up on plastic wrap. Slice horizontally through the thickest part of each side almost to, but not through the outer edge. Flip cut piece over to enlarge breast. Place plastic wrap over turkey; flatten to an even thickness using a meat mallet. (Place loose piece of turkey over thinner portions.) Set aside.
- 2. Add the oil to a nonstick skillet and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and celery; saute until tender. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1 tablespoon apricot spread, parsley and teaspoon each of cinnamon, cloves, apples and allspice; stir. Spread rice mixture down center of turkey breast to within 2″ of sides; roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting with short side, to an 11 X 16″ roll. Secure at 2″ intervals with heavy string. Place turkey roll, seam-side down on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a shallow roasting pan; set aside. Combine remaining 1/3 cup apricot spread, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, 1/8 teaspoon allspice and orange juice; stir well and set aside. Brush turkey with apricot mixture.
- 3. Bake uncovered at 325°F for 2 hours, basting often with apricot mixture.
- 4. Place turkey roll on a serving platter, and let stand 10 minutes; remove string. Garnish with watercress sprigs.