Angela's Eat Your Greens Lasagna
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Here's a remake of a favorite that replaces the meat with collard greens. You can substitute any green, such as kale or even spinach (but be sure to squeeze the water out of the spinach so it doesn't make the sauce watery.)
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 2 26-ounce jars of spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Italian spices to taste (basil, oregano and/or a spice mix like Mrs. Dash)
- Garlic to taste
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 15-ounce ricotta cheese (reduced fat)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella and/or cheddar cheese (reduced fat)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2. Wash and chop the collard greens into 1" strips.
- 3. Heat the sauce in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer.
- 4. Add the chopped collard greens, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until the collards become soft, about 15-20 minutes. Add spices, salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. In a medium saucepan, boil water and add the lasagna noodles. Return to boil and cook until they seem halfway done, about 5 minutes, then drain and rinse noodles in cold water.
- 6. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray. assemble one layer of noodles across the bottom.
- 7. Over the noodles, add 1/3 of the sauce/collard mixture, 1/3 of the shredded cheese, and ½ of the ricotta cheese.
- 8. Add another layer of noodles, sauce and cheeses.
- 9. Top with a third layer of noodles, and cover with the remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
- 10. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake another 10-20 minutes until golden and bubbly.